Instituto-E gives this award in partnership with UNESCO and the City Hall of Rio de Janeiro to the most distinguished initiatives for socio – environmental development which are undertaken and based on the principles of Eco – 92. These initiatives which were undertaken during the last 20 years were classified according to the six “e”s criteria of the institute: Earth, Environment, Energy, Education, Empowerment and Economics. There were also two other special categories: the national and international e-brigaders.
The first edition of the awards was on June 16th 2012 and was part of the official events of the agenda of Rio + 20. The event gave awards to the initiatives that contributed the most to sustainable development since ECO – 92 .
The e-award winner for the Empowerment category was chosen by popular vote on a hotsite created specially for the e-award. The event took place at Forte de Copacabana and the awards were handed to the winners by important public figures. 500 individuals committed to the cause of sustainable development were present at the event.
– Environment - Sylvia Earle ( oceanographer and founder of Deep Search Foundation) | Gretchen Kalonji (UNESCO director)
– Energy - Corrado Clini (Minister for the Environment of Italy) | Gilberto Carvalho (Chief of the General Secretariat of the Presidency)
– Earth – Russel Mittermeier (President of Conservation International ) | Sérgio Besserman (economist and environmentalist )
– Education – Terra Institute (Sebastião Salgado and Lélia Wanick Salgado) | Eduardo Paes (mayor of Rio de Janeiro)
– Economics – Reciclanip (Eugênio Deliberato ) | Eduardo Eugênio Gouvêa Vieira (director of Firjan )
– Empowerment award nominee – ACAMJG (Tião Santos)
– Empowerment award winner– Earth Charter (Mirian Vilela) | Miriam Leitão (journalist)
– Empowerment award nominee – Vitaes Cilvilis (Marcelo Cardoso)
– national e-brigader – Benki Piyãko | Marcos Palmeira (actor)
– e - brigader international – Maurice Strong | Oskar Metsavaht ( Osklen 's creative director, founder and president of Instituto-E)